The 5th Sphere
Ephesians 6:10–13 (NIV) — Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
1. The enemy is in the spiritual realm –using people –working through them
2. How the enemy works
A. He schemes – plans
B. He masquerades
C. He is on the prowl
John 8:44 (NIV) — You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
2 Corinthians 11:12–14 (NIV) — And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about. 13 For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.
1 Peter 5:8–11 (NIV) — Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. 10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11 To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.
3. How we defeat him
• I abide we abide
• We do it together –spiritual family – human family
• We put on the armor –
Ephesians 6:13–18 (NIV) — Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
LIFE GROUP QUESTIONS
For discussion with your small group, family and friends.
Ice Breaker suggestion: Between Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas – which is your preferred holiday? Explain and share a memory.
Passages: Ephesians 6:10-20, 2 Corinthians 10 :3-5
Questions to discuss:
1. Share something from the sermon that challenged you or you are curious about.
2. Read Ephesians 6:10-12. What does this passage tell us about the spiritual realm sphere? A)What challenges you, encourages you or shifts your perspective in this passage?
3. What do you think “be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power’’ means? A)How does that look this season of your life? B) What relationships or actions help you remember His presence?
4. Read Ephesians 6:13-18. What about the armor of God stands out to you? A)What particular piece is important to you? B)How does humility and unity affect your ability to fight the spiritual battle?
5. What spiritual battle are you facing right now?
6. As we conclude this series – what have you discovered about abiding, humility or the spheres in your own life as a revolutionary disciple?