The Disciples Journey: Week 1
The Disciples Journey: Week 1
Intro: The Disciple’s Journey Introduction Video
- Mentioned 10 times:
Ephesians 1:1–14 (NIV) — 1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To God’s holy people in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus: 2 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace 8 that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, 9 he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, 10 to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ. 11 In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12 in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.
- Under Christ –vs 10
- Through Jesus Vs 5
- Marked when we believed ––with the Holy Spirit — Vs 13
- In Christ –I have a new identity
- Grace and peace –from and with God Vs 2
- Blameless in His sight- redemption Vs 4, Vs 7
- Adopted as sons/daughters’ vs 5
- We are in the know – the big picture –Vs 9
- A future that is glorious –an inheritance Vs 14
John 15:1–5 (NIV) — 1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. 5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
Romans 5:1 (NIV) — 1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
A. Abiding is soaking in these truths
- Remaining in him no matter what things look and feel like
- Time in God’s Word – music –prayer –reading
B. Remembering _________________.
- He is all powerful –all knowing – and completely able to do all He has promised
- His ways are higher than our ways –
- Seeking the wrong things to help us or protect us
- The wrong answers mean time spent in wrong places
- Out of balance people don’t have the strength to stand against the storms
Isaiah 55:9–11 (NIV) — 9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. 10 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, 11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
C. Remember _____________________ – if you are “in Christ”.
- You are a child of God –son or daughter
- He sees you –He knows you –He is working around you
- What is your identity – I am a……American, business owner, mom
- The business forum speaker said something important the other day …
- When you answer the question –who are you—how do you answer?
Isaiah 49:15–16 (NIV) — 15 “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! 16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.
Matthew 10:29–30 (NIV) — 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
D. Remember where the strength to do His will and to experience His planned journey comes from
- Decide to go on a journey with Jesus –His roadmap –His destination
- Get into a relational vehicle –with other believers
- Personally abide – the directions and the power is there
- Take the next step
For series resources and the Small Group discussion guide go to: thedisciplesjourney.org