• There are many issues right now: Pandemics, social and cultural changes.
• There are current and future economic concerns.
• There are political issues.
• People are feeling less than secure: There is an increase in addictions – violence—mental health issues –on and on.
• In Jesus’ day people were seemingly awake to something happening.
• I think many are feeling it today and are wondering.
Why the end times are a hard thing to teach on:
1. Scripture tells us that no man knows when the End will come (over the years many have thought we must be at the end).
2. There have been many dark times in history before.
3. There are so many views over history –the graph –Why so many versions?
• Some of you think you know
• Others think I ought to know
• Others don’t care
A. The Old Testament prophets –looked at history from 10,000 feet versus looking more closely at a specific part.
B. Different parts being revealed out of order at different times.
C. Why does God allow differing views and some confusion in the details? The enemy is listening in.
D. Some things are meant to be understood in hindsight.
E. But Jesus did tell us to look for signs.
Mark 13:32 (NIV) John 13:2 (NIV)
1 Peter 1:10–12 (NIV) 1 Corinthians 13:12(NIV)
Why are we doing this series?
• So we can have peace in the midst of the trials –and we are not surprised.
• So we can have confidence –God is working –according to plan
• So we can live with purpose
Our desire for our church and this series:
1. Unity in our church
• Humility, wisdom
• In our life groups
1 Corinthians 1:10 (NIV
2. We want you to be informed —The five things each version accepts
1. The return of the King – a second coming (rapture and/or second return)
2. Resurrection of the dead (Daniel 12:2)
3. Judgement day (Bema seat and or Great white throne judgment)
4. Eternal judgement to hell
5. Eternal judgement to a new heaven and a new earth
Traditional Version of the Apostles Creed (140 AD) I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth; And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; * the third day he rose from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic (global) church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
WE don’t know many things – but what we do know we are called on to obey:
Deuteronomy 29:29 (NIV) — 29 The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.
Daniel 9:26 (NIV) — 26 After the sixty-two ‘sevens,’ the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.
Questions to discuss: