Jude: Week 2
Jude: Week 2
Review—Big picture – warning – for the church and those who are false teachers
- 2 Peter language
- False teachers are coming –were there already
- How to know a false teacher – “the faith”: once for all entrusted –delivered –see Vs 17
- What is included in “the faith” –the Gospel, Doctrine, Righteousness, Life style
- Remember Paul had dealt with those who would add to scripture (Judiazers)-
- Jude is dealing with those who say something very specific –license to sin
Jude 3–4 (NIV) — 3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people. 4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. Let’s go deeper into this letter • What to listen for ….
Jude 5–17 (NIV)
1st : Notice false teachers lead you to reject Gods authority to declare what is right and wrong
- License to sin –in particular sexual immorality – any form
- A license to sin
- Paul’s progression –after refusing to worship –acknowledge – sex became the issue
- Sodom and Gomorrah here is used as an example
- See Romans 1:18–28 (NIV)
1 Corinthians 6:9–11 (NIV) — 9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
2nd : Notice false teachers have an authority that they do obey – what is it?
A. Their dreams – Experiences –Vs 8
Colossians 2:18–19 (NASB95) — 18 Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind, 19 and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.
2 Corinthians 11:12–15 (NASB95) — 12 But what I am doing I will continue to do, so that I may cut off opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the matter about which they are boasting. 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.
B. Their instincts—appetites –Vs 10 and 16
- Natural instincts – unreasoning animals
Ephesians 4:17–19 (NIV) — 17 So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. 18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. 19 Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed.
3rd : Notice their punishment
- Their motivation – defiance – Pride – rejection of authority
- Cain –cut off –
- Balaam – stopped by God
- Korah – swallowed up
- Vs 6 eternal judgment –
- Vs 7 eternal fire
- Vs 12—twice dead
Revelation 20:13–14 (NIV) — 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.
It’s a Warning for us
Question which kind of person are you? Have you become a bondservant of Christ?
2 Timothy 4:1–5 (NIV) — 1 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.
Hebrews 2:1–4 (NIV)
For Small Group Discussion: What stood out to you most from last week’s message?
Opening Question: What fad of the past did you jump onboard with that you regret now?
Main Point: Jude gives Old Testament examples of false teachers that led to rebellion, rejection of authority and unbelief. We are encouraged to contend for the faith by looking to God’s authority in all things.
Read/Tell the Story: Jude 5-16
- Rather than the word of God, according to verse 8, where do false teachers get their information from?
- Where or to who do false teachers look to for authority?
- What other examples from scripture can you think of where God’s people are led astray?
- False teachings can sneak in through many ways in following dreams/experiences, following desires, or following other false teachers.
- What hopes and dreams have you had that have the potential to take priority over God in your life?
- What experiences have led you to believe the way you do?
- What desires in your life are healthy? What desires in your life are potentially dangerous?
- Why do you think these warnings are given to believers?
- Where or to whom do you look to for truth in your life?
- What should hold the authority on truth in your life?
- How can you filter teachings and ideas to keep aligned with God’s word?
Supporting Scripture: Ephesians 4:17-32, Matthew 7:15-20, Romans 8:1-11
Tips and Resources: Jim’s podcast on this series (click below)
You can find more resources plus Jim’s podcast at the link below: https://realliferesources.org/current-series/contendforthefaith/
Click below to submit your questions for our next series- You Asked for It! https://reallifeministries.com/ask