Matthew 11:28-30– Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
Priority – a thing that is regarded as more important than another. The fact or condition of being regarded or treated as more important.
Goal – A goal is an idea of the future or desired result that a person or a group of people envision, plan and commit to achieve.
• 1 Timothy 4:8-10
• 1 Corinthians 9:24-27
• Priorities & Goals are revealed with your: time, sacrifice, energy, resources and passion
WRONG PRIORITIES & GOALS
• Chasing dreams and hobbies
1 John 2:15-17-15 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. 16 For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. 17 And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.
• That doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy these things or strive for them.
GOD’S REVEALED PRIORITIES
Matthew 22:37-40 -Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”
• Abiding (John 15:4-5)
• Being connected to and building His church
• Loving your family (Deuteronomy 11:18-19)
• Not just pretending to love people (Romans 12:9)
• Being an ambassador (2 Corinthians 5:20)
• We don’t just do this part time, but with every area of our life: abide, home, church, world, and spiritual realm
• It’s not about checking the boxes (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)
WHEN WE FALL SHORT
• We all have fallen short
• Grace isn’t what gets us in, then we are done. We are saved and sustained by grace.
• 2 Corinthians 5:21 – God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
1. What are you hearing today? What is one thing you can take away?
2. Are you walking in obedience and God’s love?
3. Are you connected and doing life with people?
4. Do you make God’s priorities your own?
QUESTIONS TO REFLECT AND DISCUSS:
Passages to consider: Matthew 6:25-34; Ephesians 5:15-21; Hebrews 12:1-3; Philippians 2:3,4
Ice Breaker: What kinds of resolutions or goals do you think about at the beginning of the year or maybe at your birthday? Share something thought provoking from the sermon.
1. Read Hebrews 12:1-3 and Matthew 6:25-33. What do these passages show us about priorities and goals?
2. What motivates or drives your priorities and goals? What practices help you move towards what is a priority in your life?
3. How does following Jesus impact the goals and priorities you are setting in the different areas/spheres of your life? What can get in the way or distract? What strengthens you in that focus?
4. Look at Philippians 2:3,4 and Ephesians 5:15-21. How do these passages speak to us about having shared goals and priorities?
5. What have you discovered about listening and communicating to your spouse/close friends/children about goals and priorites? How well do you know the priorities of someone who is close to you? What does growing in the area of shared goals look like for you?
6. Challenge: Write our your priorities. Look at how you spend your time, money, energy and thoughts. How well do your ‘on paper’ priorities match your ‘real-time’ priorities? How well do your practiced priorities match with God’s hear and priorities?