Matthew 11:28-30 28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
WEEK1 -But on everyWord
WEEK 2 – But Seek first
WEEK 3 – But if you cause littles to stumble
WEEK 4 – But anyone who hears my teachings
- Luke 6:46
- Break it down
- Do what he says, but it’s not just about that
- The Gospel
- Saved by grace through faith – Not just acknowledgment, changed (Ephesians 2:8-10)
- How do you get faith?- Hearing the word of God, and learning to apply it(Romans10:17)
- Constant training in the word to determine right and wrong and putting it into practice (Hebrews 5:12-17)
- Abidance relationship with God – not a checking the box (John 15:5-9)
- We obey his commands and love him and others because he loved us first(1 John 4:19)
HOW DO I KNOW
- What if I’m struggling?
- A sign of a growing believe is an increased awareness of one’s own sinfulness
- Paul,Worst of Sinners, least deserving of all Gods people
- 1 John 3:7-9
- Romans 7:14-23
- We lean on the rock; we don’t get to pick the floor plans but we can build off them
- 1Corinthians 3:12-15
- We are saved in Jesus, he is the foundation
- So we have both a responsibility, and a reliance to trust in God
- We have a job to do that we should take seriously, as well as a reliance and a rest we can have in the Lord
- He can’t just be Savior but has to be Lord as well… it’s both
- Psalms 127:1-2
- What are you hearing today?
- Have you made Jesus your Savior but failed to make him your Lord?
- Have you been working tirelessly day and night instead of pursuing what the Lord says and trusting in the Him?
- Have you been struggling? Do you need to give it to the Lord?
- Do you need to make Jesus the foundation? Are you tried of building yourself?
Week 5: But Anyone Who Hears My Teaching
For Small Group Discussion & personal reflection:
Opening Question: What stood out to you the most from the sermon this week?
Read/Tell the Story: Matthew 7:24-29
- In this season of life, who do you relate to from the story? Why?
- Why is having a firm foundation so important?
- How well would you say you move from “hearing” God’s word, to “doing” God’s word?
- What can you learn about God from this story?
- What can you learn about man from this story?
- What did you learn about yourself from this story?