A Holy Nation: Week 1
A Holy Nation: Week 1
- Last week – we spoke about the spiritual battle we face – we wrestle not against flesh and blood – the big 3 the devil uses
- Deception B. Distraction C. Discouragement
- What I learned in Kenya when I was there –tribalism over Kingdom
Ephesians 6:10–13 (NIV)
- What was happening in the world when this was written
- Nero –Herod –corrupted Sanhedrin –etc…
- Persecution from the Jews and the Romans –corrupt local officials –taxation
- Society –abortion –sexual abuse –
John 17:15–17 (NIV) — 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.
Colossians 1:13 (NIV) — 13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,
1 Peter 1:1–2 (NIV) — 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance.
1 Peter 2:9–12 (NIV) — 9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. 11 Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.
A Holy Nation –Who we are
- The Jews were expecting – why? The Kings highway
- Gods plan – a physical nation that sets the stage for the spiritual nation
- The Kingdom of heaven – was meant to be dispersed together into the physical kingdoms
- The Holy nation is the Kingdom of believers – citizens
- Holy –set apart for His purposes – that we may declare
John 18:36 (NIV) — 36 Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.”
See Isaiah 42:6 Luke 2:28–32 (NIV)
Ephesians 2:19 (NIV) — 19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household,
Ephesians 3:10 (NIV) — 10 His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms,
Galatians 6:16 (NIV) — 16 Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule—to the Israel of God.
Philippians 3:17–21 (NIV) We are a chosen people
- Called out ones
- Based on His foreknowledge
Romans 8:29–30 (NIV) Ephesians 2:10–11 (NIV)
1. We are aliens/strangers here –we seek First things first –seek first the Kingdom of heaven –
- The Kingdom of heaven –Jesus’ rule and reign in our lives
- Seek – absorbed with – a strenuous and persevering search for
- His Kingdom and His goals
- Identity -Allegiance, and Purpose
Matthew 6:33 (NIV) — 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Colossians 3:1 (NIV) — 1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
2 Corinthians 4:18 (NIV) — 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
Larry Crabb- You have first things and second things in your life. Nothing’s wrong with second things but when second things become first things than it’s a problem.
2. And His righteousness – we live such good lives –How we fight
- Remember the belt of truth from last week –the breastplate of righteousness
- We want a safe society for our kids
- We are Kingdom people in the area we are responsible for
- We train our kids in the word – etc..
Matthew 5:13–16 (NIV) Galatians 5:21–26 (NIV)
- At a time when people are distracted from the real issues and things that matter most – we must be focused
- At a time when the devil cloaks himself in an angels clothing – we need to see things clearly
- Connecting prayer and the spiritual armor to the holy nation discussion
- Standing = putting on the armor via prayer =right fight the right way
Gods Kingdom is doing just fine –We don’t look at Fox news or CNN news –but the Good News
For Small Group Discussion:
Opening Question: Have you ever been picked first (or last) for a team? Do you feel like that was the right call?
Main Point: We are chosen by God, not to exclude the world but for the sake of the world.
Read/Tell the Story: Genesis 12:1-9
- What did God call Abram to do?
- What did God promise to Abram? Were all of the promises from God meant for Abram alone?
- How did Abram respond to God’s command?
- How did Abram’s calling and obedience impact the world?
- How did God call you to Himself? How did you respond?
- Do you believe that your obedience is having an impact on the world around you? How?
- Thinking about the people in your group, what positive impact do you see that they have on the world around them? Tell them!
Supporting Scripture: 1 Peter 2:9-10, Deuteronomy 7:6-7, Psalms 33:12