Answering some of your Questions
• We will be doing a series on the Holy Spirit later sometime in the next year
• A huge subject
• A divisive subject
• But in a snapshot –lets deal with who the Holy Spirit is
The Holy Spirit is a person (personality) one of the Trinity –HE
• In this case pronouns do matter –
• Reinforced from the beginning of the church
• Important words – Holy –Spirit –
Genesis 1:26 (NIV) Matthew 3:16–17 (NIV) Matthew 28:19–20 (NIV) Ephesians 4:29–30 (NIV)
Before Jesus came to the world physically– the Holy Spirit worked intermittently in and through prophets
2 Peter 1:20–21 (NIV)
The New Covenant
Hebrews 1:1–2 (NIV) — 1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2
but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made
In the New Covenant –The Holy Spirit will be in you
John 14:15–31 (NIV) John 16:7–16 (NIV)
Important truths —
The Primary meaning of this text – to the Disciples—
• You will write the New Covenant –like Moses
• Like the prophets of old – carried along
• This is why we contend for the faith once for all delivered –the early church views are stationary
Jude 3–4 (NIV) Hebrews 2:1–4 (NIV)
When will things change –The Promised Baptism of the Holy Spirit –
• The launch of the disciples with the new covenant
Acts 1:4–5 (NIV) Acts 2:1–4 (NIV)
What does this mean for us –The promise –the indwelling gift of the Holy Spirit
Acts 2:38–39 (NIV) John 3:5–6 (NIV) Ezekiel 36:26 (NIV)
What does the Indwelling gift of the Holy Spirit do in our lives?
1. The Holy Spirit for the Apostles –He reminded Jesus’ disciples and taught them — scripture
• He reminds us of what scripture says too – of what God has done for us
• Not the same kind of inspiration that the Apostles had
Psalm 119:11 (NIV) — 11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
2. The Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin and points us to Jesus as sin bearer
• Who He is
• What He has done
• What He has promised to do
John 16:7–16 (NIV)
3. They Holy Spirit marks us –we have a foretaste – a deposit guaranteeing our hope
Ephesians 1:13 (NIV) — 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your
salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
4. The Holy Spirit intercedes for us ––our Advocate
Romans 8:23–26 (NIV)
5. The Holy Spirit gives us power to will and to change –change how?
Philippians 2:13 (NIV)
What is the evidence of the Spirit –Holiness that looks like love
Galatians 5:22–25 (NIV)
Love is …
1 Corinthians 13:4–7 (NIV)
More in a series to come—
What about the miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit?
• Their purpose – to confirm the covenant—the scriptures
• Does this mean that He does not do miraculous things today—
• Yes –God answers prayer
• God Works normatively through His Word and His people (the church)
• Gods people point to Jesus –
• The Holy Spirit brings glory to God through Jesus
• For further instruction – see membership class – resources
For Small Group Discussion: What stood out to you the most from this week’s sermon?
Opening Question: What is the ultimate trifecta? (Foods, sports teammates, etc.)
Main Point: God has eternally existed in three persons: the Father, the Son (Jesus), and Holy Spirit. The Father, Son, and Holy
Spirit are co-equal and are one.
• What are some analogies of the Trinity you have heard? What parts of those analogies are helpful or unhelpful to you?
• Where do you see the members of the Trinity interacting in the Bible?
oGenesis 1:1-2 & 26, John 1:1-5, Matthew 3:13-17
• What are the specific roles of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?
o1 Corinthians 8:6, 2 Corinthians 5:19, John 16:7-15
• Where do you see members of the Trinity declared to be God?
oIsaiah 63:16, Isaiah 9:6, John 14:16-17
• Do you relate to the Holy Spirit as a person? Why or why not?
oRomans 8:16-17, John 14:16-17
• How is submissiveness modeled within the Trinity? How does that impact you?
oLuke 22:42, John 5:19-20
• How does God’s role as a father impact you personally?
o2 Corinthians 6:18, John 15:1-2
• Do you wrestle with the mystery around how the Trinity works? How so?
• Which member of the Trinity do you most naturally interact with when you pray?
• How would you describe the Trinity to someone new to the faith?
• How do you want to grow in your relationship with the Trinity?
For resources, podcasts and more, go to https://realliferesources.org/current-series/
Scripture quotations marked NIV are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version. Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Bib