Upgrades: Week 3
Upgrades: Week 3
- Week 1: Marriage is God’s Idea
- Week 2: Communication
- This Week: Finances
FEED THE GREED, STOP THE BLEED OR MEET THE NEED – THE PRIDE, FEAR OR FAITH IN FINANCES
When we trust and follow God’s design for our resources and possessions as a couple it results in unity together and the ability to partner with God in displaying faith, generosity and hospitality to the world.
In order to partner with God in this way we need the right perspective, priorities and a plan
- Creator – Couple – Covenant: A partnership with purpose (Genesis 1-4)
Genesis 1:26-31 (NIV) – 26Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” 27So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. 28God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” 29Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so. 31God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.
- The Couple & The Covenant
- Marriage is to represent Christ and the Church (Eph. 5:31-33)
- Christ laid down his life for the Church for all to see and receive
- We are to submit to one another in marriage and sacrifice for others in the world
- Resources are not mine, yours or ours, they are God’s (Psalm 24:1)
- Greed – Bleed – Need
Psalm 37:4 (NIV) – Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
- Give – Live – Save
1 Timothy 6:17-19 (NIV) – Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
PERSONAL AND SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS:
Ice Breaker: What was one of your most impulsive purchases? What were you thinking and feeling?
Main Point: When we trust and follow God’s design for our resources and possessions it results in unity together and the ability to partner with him in displaying generosity and hospitality to the world.
Read/Tell the Story: Luke 12:13-21
- What argument initiated Jesus telling this parable?
- Why did the rich man tear down his barns?
- Why did God consider this man a fool?
- Where do you see yourself in the story?
- How do you determine what is wise planning vs. storing up treasures in an unhealthy way?
- What do you do when finances are the tension in your family?
- How have you decided in your home what is prioritized when it comes to spending money?
- How can you ‘guard against all forms of greed’ in your life?
- What in your finances needs to be realigned to God’s design?
- What is an area that God is calling you to greater generosity?
Supporting Scripture: Matthew 6:31-33, Ecclesiastes 5:10
Tips & Resources: Consider taking a class, Financial Peace University or Next Level Finances