Luke 5:31-32 31Jesus answered them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. 32I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent.”
Romans 3:10-1210As the Scriptures say “No one is righteous— not even one. 11No one is truly wise; no one is seeking God. 12All have turned away; all have become useless. No one does good, not a single one.”
Romans 3:20 For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are.
1 John 3:20 Even if we feel guilty, God is greater than our feelings, and he knows everything.
WE HAVE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF CHRIST!
2 Corinthians 5:21God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Ephesians 2:8-9 8God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.
Micah 7:18 Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.
WHERE ARE YOU TODAY?
QUESTIONS TO DISCUSS IN LIFE GROUPS OR WITH YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS:
Passage to consider: Luke 18:9-14
1. What was your take away from the sermon? What are you discovering about parables?
2. Read Luke 18:9-14. What is the setting that Jesus is telling the parable? Who is there? Who is he addressing?
3. Talk about what each man in the parable does.
4. What does it sound like today when people believe their own “righteousness” is good enough? (Note: this can be in a religious setting or a secular setting.) A) What can tempt you to trust in your own goodness?
5. When have you seen humbleness and trust in God’s mercy modeled? A) What have you learned from that example?
6. What are ways you remind yourself of the gospel of Jesus’ grace, death, life, and forgiveness for you? A) What is your response to this week’s parable? With whom can you share the story or your response?