The Right Fight: Week 3
The Right Fight: Week 3
WHAT TRIBE DO YOU BELONG TO?
Who do you belong to, associate yourself with, and identify as? “I am a ______!”
- Republican, Democrat
- Outdoorsy, North Idahoan
- Professional, Blue Collar
- Parent, Step-Parent, Grandparent
- Young, Mid-life, Old
- Well-to-do, Broke
- Fit, Healthy, Sick
- Married, Divorced, Single
- Sophisticated, Simple
- Educated, Uneducated
- Seahawks, Raiders, Steelers, Broncos
- Survivor, Victim, Overcomer
- Denominational, Nondenominational
Idaho State Issued Driver’s License versus Costco Membership Card
WHAT TRIBE DO YOU BELONG TO, ASSOCIATE YOURSELF WITH, IDENTIFY AS?
Christian—You are ____________!
John 1:12-13 (ESV) 12But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
Since you are ___________, you are a part of His ______________!
Being a part of His _____________, you need to know and be reminded of the ____________.
Lessard Family Rules:
- No lies… ever!
- Get along!
- Parents have the final say.
- Don’t leave the door open unless it’s summer, or we burnt something in the kitchen.
- Take your shoes off while you’re in the house.
FAMILY OF GOD’S RULES FOR FIGHTING THE RIGHT FIGHT #1: BE A ____________.
Matthew 5:9 (ESV) Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
- blessed: makarios (mak-ar’-ee-os): fortunate, well off, blessed, happy
- Peacemaker – eirēnopoios (i-ray-nop-oy-os’): to promote peace, being peaceable, loving peace
- Not Passive (sweeper)
- Not Aggressive (agitator)
- Work hard to make peace with others to the best of your ability. (See Romans 12:18)
FAMILY OF GOD’S RULES FOR FIGHTING THE RIGHT FIGHT #2: ____________ ONE ANOTHER!
John 13:35 (ESV) By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
John 13:35 (PLV) You will be easily identified as belonging to God’s family by how well you love one another.
TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION: What if you had to earn your way into Heaven, but by how well you genuinely loved others?!
1 Corinthians 13:1-7 (AMP) 1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love [for others growing out of God’s love for me], then I have become only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal [just an annoying distraction]. 2And if I have the gift of prophecy [and speak a new message from God to the people], and understand all mysteries, and [possess] all knowledge; and if I have all [sufficient] faith so that I can remove mountains, but do not have love [reaching out to others], I am nothing. 3If I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it does me no good at all. 4Love endures with patience and serenity, love is kind and thoughtful, and is not jealous or envious; love does not brag and is not proud or arrogant. 5It is not rude; it is not self-seeking, it is not provoked [nor overly sensitive and easily angered]; it does not take into account a wrong endured. 6It does not rejoice at injustice, but rejoices with the truth [when right and truth prevail]. 7Love bears all things [regardless of what comes], believes all things [looking for the best in each one], hopes all things [remaining steadfast during difficult times], endures all things [without weakening].
- Icebreaker: What’s a personal example of when you really blew it fighting the wrong fight? What’s an example of when you fought the right fight the right way? Compare the differences.
- Icebreaker: What are five of the spoken/unspoken rules of your own family?
- God’s Family: How much are you a part of God’s family? What do you love about God’s family? What is confusing to you about God’s family? Is there something in the way of you being closer to God’s family? If so, what is God asking of you in that?
- Peacemaker: What’s your typical default in conflict: passive, aggressive, peacemaker? What would others close to you say your default is? What do you sense God is asking of you?
- Love: If you had to earn your way into heaven by your love for one another, how would that change things for you? Why do you think God thought it was best to not force you to love?
- Love: Since God has given you the freedom to participate with Him in the divine (2 Peter 1:3-4), what is God asking of you to join Him in that you don’t have in and of yourself?
ADDITIONAL STUDY VERSES
- Belonging to God’s Family: Matthew 12:50, Galatians 6:10, Romans 8:12-17
- Called to Peace: John 14:27, Romans 5:1, 2 Corinthians 5:16-21
- Called to Love: Galatians 5:13-15, Romans 12:9-21, Matthew 22:34-40