This series is based on a new book and the book of Ephesians
Definition of revolution-revolutionary
1: A sudden, radical, or complete change
Definition of revolutionary
1. Bringing about or supporting a political or social revolution
2. Marked by or resulting in radical change
What is the change we are seeking?
For Christians to become mature Disciples of Jesus in every sphere of their lives.
The great commission and disciple making
– Matthew 28:18–20 (NIV)
What is a disciple?
– Matthew 4:19 (ESV)
Who is a disciple?
How disciples are made – a relational journey back to our design
1. In the beginning — it was good but with a choice – will it remain good? — our choice?
2. Choices and consequences – the curse
3. We have gotten so far away from God’s design in every part of our lives
4. God sent Jesus to rescue us but again we must choose. Become a disciple or don’t; there was no distinction between
being a disciple and a Christian in the early church.
5. A disciple starts on a journey with Jesus back towards our design
6. Matthew 4:19. A disciple follows, is changed by, and is committed to the mission of Jesus
7. Ultimately, we become Ambassadors – representatives of Jesus
Matthew 7:24–27 (NIV) – 2 Corinthians 5:17–20 (NIV)
Pride is the enemy of the discipleship journey that leads back to His design
1. Pride says I won’t go – I won’t be sent – the result?
2. Pride says I will go and preach because that is easy but not teach (disciple make)
3. Pride says I will go but I want to go for my own benefit
4. Pride says I will not be baptized (a picture of salvation), and I will not be taught by Gods delegated authority
5. Pride is the enemy of relationship with God and others
Romans 10:11–15 (NIV)
James 4:4–10 (NIV) — 4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us? 6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” 7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
Humility looks like…. Jesus as a leader and a follower
Philippians 2:1–10 (NIV) — 1 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like- minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. 5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross! 9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
Our role as a disciple is to surrender – and pledge allegiance to the King
For discussion with your small group, family and friends.
Ice Breaker suggestion: Think about your summer. What was better than you anticipated and what was unexpected?
Passages: Matthew 4:19; Matthew 28:18-20; Ephesians 4:1,2; Matthew 11:28-30.
Questions to discuss:
A) In what ways are you wanting to grow in following Jesus this coming season?
4. Who has modeled being a disciple of Jesus or who has modeled making disciples (intentionally helping others follow Jesus) to you?
A) What stood out to you?
5. Read Ephesians 4:1,2 & Matthew 11:28-30. When you think of pride what comes to mind?
A) How does pride kill? B) Where could God be convicting you of pride?
6. When you think of humility what comes to mind? A) Who has modeled humility to you? B) How could you take a next step towards humility?