The Revolutionary Disciple: Week 6
The Revolutionary Disciple: Week 6
- We are in a war
- He (Satan) seeks to steal, kill, and destroy
- He attacks us in many ways
- He works within confusion, condemnation, accusation, fear, lies, and deception
- We need to know some things before we dig into this
- We no longer fight for victory, we fight from it.
Colossians 2:13-15 – You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross.
- Even though we have victory, we must be aware (2 Corinthians 2:11)
Ephesians 6:11-12 -Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
Ephesians 6:16 – In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.
- He has attacks – fiery arrows
- James 4:7 – says to resist the devil
- We are called to abide and know the truth and discern his voice
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 – We are human, but we don’t wage war as humans do. We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ.
- Human Reasoning/Fantasies
- False Arguments
- Satan’s arrows and attacks are mostly if not exclusively in the form of thought
- He even likes to take God’s Word and twist it enough for us to not notice and use it against us.
- We can’t do it alone
- How it works, how he does it
- We have to learn to capture these false thoughts and weigh them to the Word of God
Examples & Verses
- Be Holy as I am Holy
- Your prayers will be hindered
- Fruits of the Spirit
- You’re so unworthy – we think unworthy means worthless
- We think failure means we are unlovable
- Your a bad: husband, wife, mom, dad…
- God’s voice vs the Enemy
- If the truth sets us free then is what I am hearing, interpreting bringing freedom?
YOU CAN’T FORBID A BIRD FROM FLYING OVER YOUR HEAD, BUT YOU CERTAINLY CAN FORBID A BIRD FROM NESTING IN YOUR HAIR
– Watchmen Nee
- Stand firm – Stand in the victory we already have
- The enemy stands on the outside trying to lie his way to our forfeit
- He tries to tire us out to let go of the victory we already have
Ephesians 6:13-17 – Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
- Belt of Truth
- Gods Righteousness
- Shoes of Peace
- Shield of Faith
- Helmet of Salvation
- Sword of the Spirit
CLOSING THE SERIES
- We are called to follow Jesus, be changed by Jesus, and be on mission with Jesus in every sphere of our lives
- The enemy wants to take that reality and even use the sphere’s as a weapon
- Behavioral change
- God wants a truly heartfelt, deep-rooted change in the cross and the gospel.
- It moves us from following as a fearful slave to pursuit because of love as his children
- Is His kindness, love, mercy, grace, and forgiveness
- What has God called you to in this series?
- What lies have you been believing? Can you identify any today?
- Have you been isolated? That is where the enemy wants you.
- Can you identify any pride in your life?
- Are you abiding with Jesus?
- If you don’t know Jesus you need to know him.
Passages to consider: Ephesians 6:10-20, 2Corinthians 10:3-5
Ice Breaker Suggestion: BetweenHalloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas- which is your preferred holiday? Explain and share a memory
- Share from the sermon something that challenged you or you are curious about.
- Read Ephesians 6:10-12. What does this passage tell us about the spiritual realm sphere? What challenges you, encourages you or, shifts your perspective in this passage?
- What do you think “be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power” means? How does that look this season of your life? What relationships or actions help you remember His presence?
- Read Ephesians 6:13-18. What about the armor of God stands out to you? What particular piece is important to you? How do humility and unity affect your ability to fight the spiritual battle?
- What spiritual battle are you facing right now?
- As we conclude this series – what have you discovered about abiding, humility or the spheres in your own life as a revolutionary disciple?