Vision and Mission
Our vision is to “reach the world for Jesus 1 person at a time”
Our mission is that “we are going to make biblical disciples in relational environments” Matthew 28:18-20 (NIV)
Definition of a disciple Matthew 4:19 (NKJV)
A disciple is one that is…
- Committed to following Jesus-HEAD
- Committed to being changed by Jesus-HEART
- Committed to the mission of Jesus-HANDS
- We do this wherever we live, work, play, and worship-FEET
1st reason the Church Sphere comes before the Home Sphere:
1) Jesus tells us our spiritual family is most important
Mark 3:31-35 (NLT)
31 Then Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see him. They stood outside and sent word for him to come out and talk with them. 32 There was a crowd sitting around Jesus, and someone said, “Your mother and your brothers are outside asking for you.” 33 Jesus replied, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” 34 Then he looked at those around him and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. 35 Anyone who does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”
2nd reason the Church Sphere comes before the Home Sphere:
2) It is through the church that we learn to live out our faith in the other spheres – John 13:34-35 (NLT)
How do we actually manifest love to those around us?
- Be devoted to one another(Romans12:10)
- Honor one another above yourselves (Romans12:10)
- Live in harmony with one another (Romans12:16)
- Build up one another (Romans14:19;1Thessalonians5:11)
- Be likeminded towards one another (Romans15:5)
- Accept one another (Romans15:7)
- Admonish one another (Romans15:14;Colossians3:16)
- Greet one another (Romans16:16)
- Care for one another (1Corinthians12:25)
- Serve one another (Galatians5:13)
- Bear one another’s burdens (Galatians6:2)
- Forgive one another (Ephesians4:2,32;Colossians3:13)
- Be patient with one another (Ephesians4:2;Colossians3:13)
- Be kind and compassionate to one another (Ephesians4:32)
- Submit to one another (Ephesians5:21,1Peter5:5)
- Consider others better than yourselves (Philippians2:3)
- Look to the interests of one another (Philippians2:4)
- Bear with one another (Colossians3:13)
- Teach one another (Colossians3:16)
- Comfort one another (1Thessalonians4:18)
- Encourage one another(1Thessalonians5:11)
- Exhort one another (Hebrews3:13)
- Show hospitality to one another (1Peter4:9)
- Employ the gifts that God has given us for the benefit of one another (1Peter4:10)
- Clothe yourselves with humility towards one another (1Peter5:5)
- Pray for one another (James5:16)
- Confess your faults to one another (James5:16)
What is the church? Matthew 16:13-18 (NKJV)
- Church-Ecclesia-the called-out ones
- Jesus said HE will build HIS church, so the question is… How does Jesus want His church to operate?
Acts 2:42-47 (NKJV)
The first century church followed these 10 practices…
1) Apostles teaching
3) Breaking of bread (Communion)
6) Regular meetings
7) Praising God
Submission to Church leadership…elders/pastors
Hebrews 13:17 (NIV)
So, we are ALL called to submit to authority…What is the result of being Jesus church?
Ephesians 3:10-11 (NIV)
For discussion with your small group, family and friends.
Ice Breaker suggestion: If you could witness any event – past, present, or future – what would it be?
Passages: Ephesians 3:15, 4:11-16, 5:23; Acts 2:42-27, Hebrews 13:15-17.
Questions to discuss:
- What from the sermon are you mulling over, responding to, or have a question?
- Read Ephesians 3:15, 5:23, then Acts 2:42-47. What do each of those passages tell you about the church?
A) What do you see happening in Acts 2:42-47?
- What are some reasons that involvement with fellow believers and even the activities of the church are
important? A)? What kind of relationship/involvement do you have with fellow believers? B) In what
ways are you a part of the environments and activities of the church?
- Read Ephesians 4:11-16. What do you see about the church in this passage? Consider the goal we are
aiming for, and the ways God has given for his church. A) What part do you play in God’s church? What part does the church play in your life? B) How might God be asking you to humbly pursue your role in the church at this time?
- Look at Hebrews 13:15-17. What does this say about God’s heart concerning spiritual leadership and leaders in the church? A) What role does the leadership of the church have in your walk with Jesus?
- What is your response to what God is showing you about His design for the church and that sphere of your life? A) Could your next step be making membership commitment, perhaps serving in an area, or responding to the leaders God has placed in your life?