The Greatest: Week 3
The Greatest: Week 3
Jesus lived a Life of sacrifice
Philippians 2:5-8 (NLT) — “You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.”
Love is expressed in giving of ourselves, but it is also demonstrated by what we’re willing to give up for someone else.
God hates sin because it opposes His very nature
- Sin is a trap of the devil (John 8:44)
- God describes sin as wounds and bruises (Isaiah 1:6)
- Sin is a burden (Psalm 38:4)
- Sin defiles (Titus 1:15)
- Sin is a heavy debt (Matthew 6:12-15)
- Sin is a stain (Isaiah 1:18)
- Sin as darkness (1 John 1:6)
God hates sin because it brings death and separation (Romans 6:23)
God longs to bring us life (John 10:11)
Jesus is the Lamb of God – The Greatest Sacrifice
John 1:29 (NIV) — “The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”
Things About the Lamb
- Lamb had to be perfect
The animals you choose must be year-old males without defect…
Exodus 12:55 — “For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.”
1 Peter 1:18-19 (NIV)
2. The Lamb had to be sacrificed (Slaughtered)
Isaiah 53:5 (NIV) — “But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.”
3. The Lamb had to be shared
Exodus 12:4 (NIV) — “If any household is too small for a whole lamb, they must share one with their nearest neighbor…
For Small Group Discussion:
- What’s one of the most difficult things you’ve ever had to do?
- Have you ever had to make a sacrifice for something or someone? What was it?
Main Point: God sacrificed for us, and He expects us to have a sacrificial love for Him and others.
Primary Scripture: Genesis 22:1-19 – (Abraham and Isaac)
- Why do you think God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son?
- What does Abraham’s obedience tell you about his faith?
- Abraham loved his son Isaac more than anything. What has the potential to be first in your life instead of God?
- What does sacrificial love look like practically today?
- Is there anything in your life right now that God is asking you to sacrifice or give up in order to put Him first?
- What is one thing you can do this week to show someone sacrificial love?
Additional Scripture to Consider:
- Romans 5:6-8
- Hebrews 10:10
- Colossians 3:12-14
- 1 John 4:10-11