The Greatest: Week 3
The Greatest: Week 3
Jesus was the greatest in humility, so it makes sense that His sacrifice was the greatest of all time.
1. Why was a sacrifice required?
- Sin is so grievous to God it requires a blood sacrifice (Hebrews 9:22).
- In the Old Testament, the priests would have to sacrifice animals for the sins of the people (Hebrews 10:1-4).
- These sacrifices ceremonially cleansed them, but they were incomplete.
Hebrews 10:11-12 (NLT) Under the old covenant, the priest stands and ministers before the altar day after day, offering the same sacrifices again and again, which can never take away sins. 12 But our High Priest offered himself to God as a single sacrifice for sins, good for all time. Then he sat down in the place of honor at God’s right hand.
- Because of Jesus’ perfect sacrifice, we can know our sins are forgiven, forever!
Hebrews 10:17-18 (NLT) Then he says, “I will never again remember their sins and lawless deeds.” 18 And when sins have been forgiven, there is no need to offer any more sacrifices.
- What Jesus accomplished makes his sacrifice greater than any sacrifice ever.
2. What did Jesus sacrifice?
- His life. But it wasn’t only through death that He sacrificed. (Isaiah 53:4-9).
- He gave up many of the things we would think make up a full life, such as wealth, comfort, security, family.
- For many years, He carried the weight of knowing what he was destined to die for us.
- Knowing the kind of death He would suffer.
- Knowing the weight of billions of people’s eternity would rest on his shoulders.
- He modeled for us the kind of life we should live by living a sinless life, such as no lying, no gossiping, no retaliation for wrongs. He modeled a life of obedience, service and sacrifice.
- He was ridiculed. He was rejected by both friends (Mark 6:3) and family (Mark 3:21-22).
- He carried the weight of everyone’s sin on him.
1 Peter 2:24 (NLT) He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed.
- We don’t even fully understand what that means.
3. Why did Jesus make the sacrifices He made?
Hebrews 12:2-3 (NIV) For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
- What was the joy set before Him? Eternity with us!
- He knows what we’ve been through (Hebrews 4:15).
- Nothing else could prove His love in a greater way.
4. How should we respond?:
- We pursue the same holiness of Jesus.
Hebrews 10:10 (NLT) For God’s will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time.
- We actually care enough to stop pursuing sin! (Romans 12:1-2)
- We choose to live sacrificially in many ways (Philippians 2:3-4).
- We give generously, we serve, we put the needs of our family before our own and we invest in genuine, authentic relationships.
- How do we do that?
- We take on the same attitude of Jesus (Philippians2:5-8).
- Remember that this world is not our own (Philippians3:8-9).
- As we become like Jesus (humble) and act like Jesus (sacrificial), we experience life in the Kingdom of God and great victories as well.
- Perhaps God is calling you to sacrifice like He does.
- Giving up a habit or relationship that draws you away from God
- We need to remember that Jesus’ perfect sacrifice paid for sin once for all and accept that.
Small Group Discussion:
Scripture to consider: Genesis 22:1-19 – (Abraham and Isaac); Romans 5:6-8; Hebrews 10:10; Colossians 3:12- 14; 1 John 4:10-11
- Why do you think God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son?
- What does Abraham’s obedience tell you about his faith?
- Abraham loved his son Isaac more than anything. What has the potential to be first in your life instead of God?
- What does sacrificial love look like practically today?
- Have you ever had to make a sacrifice for something or someone? What was it?
- Is there anything in your life right now that God is asking you to sacrifice or give up in order to put Him first?
- What is one thing you can do this week to show someone sacrificial love?