The Glorious Exchange: Week 3
The Glorious Exchange: Week 3
A SURPRISE IS SOMETHING UNEXPECTED, ASTONISHING, SHOCKING, OR ASTOUNDING.
Surprises are not always easy, nor are they always initially perceived as positive.
1. THE SURPRISE OF THE EMPTY TOMB TESTS OUR _____________.
Luke 24:1–8 1On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. 2They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. 5In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? 6He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: 7‘The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’” 8Then they remembered his words.
John 2:19-22 19Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.” 20They replied, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?” 21But the temple he had spoken of was his body. 22After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken.
- Jesus’ life and words don’t conform to human reasoning.
- God exchanges death for life, and He offers this exchange to us.
- God’s surprises challenge us to look deeper and beyond the immediate.
2. WHEN SURPRISE COMES INTO _______________: THE UPPER ROOM POST-RESURRECTION.
Luke 24:36–49 36While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 37They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.” 40When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. 41And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43and he took it and ate it in their presence. 44He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.” 45Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48You are witnesses of these things. 49I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”
- With Jesus, we find GRACE and FORGIVENESS.
- With Jesus, we find TRUTH.
- With Jesus, we find PURPOSE and MISSION.
3. THE RESURRECTION LEADS THE DISCIPLES TO LIVE ________________—LIVES OF BOTH SURPRISE AND PURPOSE.
- The disciples became servants of others.
- The disciples (early Christians) lived for different goals in life.
- The disciples were committed to a real King and a real Kingdom.
- They were ultimately martyred for their beliefs.
THE RESURRECTION COMPLETES THE GOOD NEWS THAT CHRIST CAME TO SET SINNERS FREE.
- If you are a Christian, living your life for Christ, Jesus’ resurrection means:
- You have been forgiven for your sins.
- You are a new creation.
- You have great hope in the promises of God.
- You have a faith that is priceless.
- Your future is secure.
- You have been empowered to live on mission with God.
John 11:25-26 25… “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and 26whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
DISCUSSION AND APPLICATION QUESTIONS:
- If you are a Christian, how will you live a transformed life of peace and power? What will you commit to today?
- In what ways do others see your life changed by the resurrected Jesus?
- If you are not a Christian, will you look at the evidences of the true resurrected Jesus? How will you investigate the most important part of your life? Who will you talk too?