1. JESUS IS DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER PERSON IN HISTORY. HE IS UNIQUE.
2. JESUS AFFIRMED THE OLD TESTAMENT AND BROUGHT CLARITY TO THE SUBJECT OF DEATH.
Hebrews 1:1–2 1In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.
3. IN THE BEGINNING, WE CAN FIND THE BIBLICAL HISTORY OF DEATH AND WHERE IT CAME FROM.
THERE’S A GREAT “Y” IN THE TIMELINE HERE. ONE PATH IS FOR THE LIVING, AND ONE IS FOR THE DEAD.
4. THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD SHOWS US THE TIMELINE FOR THOSE LIVING ON EARTH.
5. IN THE MEANTIME, THOSE WHO DIED BEFORE THE CROSS AND EMPTY TOMB HAVE THEIR OWN TIMELINE.
JESUS BRINGS CLARITY. (Most scholars do not believe this is a parable because it’s the only place Jesus uses a name.)
NOTICE THERE IS NO REINCARNATION, NO SECOND CHANCES, AND NO “SOUL SLEEP.” (See Hebrews 9:27-28)
6. AFTER THE CROSS AND THE EMPTY TOMB, THE TIMELINE CHANGES FOR THE PHYSICALLY DEAD.
7. IN THE END, THOSE WHO’RE LIVING AND THOSE WHO’RE DEAD MEET CHRIST TOGETHER.
8. THE BOTTOM LINE: X MARKS THE SPOT.
John 3:11–21 … 13No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. 14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him. 16For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. …
JESUS BECAME SIN FOR US AND TOOK ON THE PUNISHMENT FOR IT. (See also 2 corinthians5:21)
Colossians 2:13–15 13When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
Will you look up if you haven’t already?
Do you know someone who needs to look up? Pray for them and ask God for help to share God’s love.
QUESTIONS TO DISCUSS IN LIFE GROUPS OR WITH YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS:
Passages to consider: Luke 16:19-31 and John 3:14-18