This is a yearly sermon designed to set the tone and course for our year as a church. These are our ASPIRATIONS.
THE BOOK OF EPHESIANS
1. GOD’S PLAN FOR HIS CHURCH
Ephesians 3:10-11 10His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, 11according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Ephesians 2:19-21 19Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.
A CHURCH THAT HAS JESUS AT THE CENTER OF IT SHOULD BE:
2. THE JOB OF THE CHURCH IS TO REVEAL GOD FOR WHO HE TRULY IS, AND WHAT HE IS CAPABLE OF DOING, TO THE WORLD.
Ephesians 3:8–10 8Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, 9and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. 10His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms,
ONE FAITH—WHAT IS IT?
Ephesians 4:1-6 1As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
What is our faith? It’s our doctrines, right thinking, what we believe.
Jude 1:3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people.
WE ARE TO BE CHARACTERIZED BY UNITY
A. Proper Beliefs
What does God expect from us?
B. Proper Behaviors
John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT:
QUESTIONS TO REFLECT AND DISCUSS:
Passages to consider: Ephesians 4:1-6 & 4:17-5:2
1. What from the sermon caught your attention?
2. Take a look at Ephesians 4:1-6. What does the use of “one” and “all” indicate? A) What are the different “one”s listed?
3. What does it mean for God to be Lord of all? A) How has He become Lord in your life?
4. Do your best to describe the faith that you hold—the set of beliefs that guide you, maybe the top ones. A) How has following Jesus impacted your beliefs?(What has changed or solidified?)
5. How does the faith you hold—the beliefs you have—impact your attitude and actions in your daily life?
6. Think of an issue that you deal with where you work, live, or play. What does the set of faith/beliefs that Jesus gave to us, His followers, guide you with that issue? A) Talk with a fellow Christ-follower about it.