MYTH: “I’VE BEEN IN CHURCH A LONG TIME, SO I’M SPIRITUALLY MATURE.”
OTHER __________________ SPIRITUAL MATURITIES:
• Bible knowledge
• Important position
• Busy for Jesus
• Give lots of money away
• Minimal earthly ties
• I’m good
7 NECESSARY INGREDIENTS FOR _______________:
1. Time: spending time together over a long period of time
2. Transparency: being honest about where and who you’ve been
3. Vulnerability: being honest about where and who you are
4. Commitment: willingness to work though pain, struggles, and differences
5. Communication: sharing and listening to each other about what you think, feel, and believe
6. Mercy: giving others what you yourself want—forgiveness
7. Desire: wanting to be close to the other person
SPIRITUAL MATURITY IS THE CAPACITY TO…
1. Love _______________(Matthew 22:34-40)
2. Love _______________(1 John 1:3-7, fellowship/koinonia)
3. Love other enough to _______________ them (Matthew 25:31-46)
4. Help others _______________ others well too (Matthew 28:18-20)
SPIRITUAL MATURITY = ____________-____________ -NESS (Colossians 3 ESV)
1. “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christis, seated at the right hand of God.
2. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
3. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
4. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
5. Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
6. On account of these the wrath of God is coming.
7. In these you too once walked, when you were living in them.
8. But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.
9. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices
10. and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.
11. Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christis all, and in all.
12. Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,
13. bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
14. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
15. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
16. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
17. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
18. Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
19. Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.
20. Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
21. Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.
22. Bondservants, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord.
23. Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,
24. knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
25. For the wrongdoer will be paid back for the wrong he has done, and there is no partiality.”
PERSONAL APPLICATION AND LIFE GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
1. What is something that you used to believe signified spiritual maturity but later found out it really doesn’t?
2. What’s a behavior or attitude still today that you’re tempted to believe is spiritual maturity but is actually a counterfeit?
What is something you’re needing to…
1. …fight for intimacy in your relationship with God?
2. …fight for intimacy in your relationship with others?
3. …do to serve others?
4. …do to help someone else love well?