THIS WEEK’S MYTH: “I’VE BEEN ATTENDING CHURCH ALL MY LIFE, SO I’M A MATURE BELIEVER.”
SPIRITUAL MATURITY: WHAT IS IT?
WHAT DOES JESUS LOVE AND VALUE?
1. THE FATHER
Do I love and value the Father like Jesus?
2. THE KINGDOM
Do I love and value the Kingdom like Jesus?
Matthew 22:37-40 37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
1 Corinthians 13 is our definition of what love is, is not, does, and does not do.
a. Relationship (Matthew 4:19)
b. Unity (John 17:20-23)
c. Reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:16-21)
Do I love and value people like Jesus?
Mathew 4:19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.”
A DISCIPLE IS ONE WHO IS…
“I HAVE BEEN ATTENDING CHURCH ALL MY LIFE, SO I’M A MATURE BELIEVER.” MYTH BUSTED!
QUESTIONS TO DISCUSS IN LIFE GROUPS OR WITH YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS
Myth to bust: “I attend church, so I am a mature believer.”
Passages to consider: Matthew 4:19; Matthew 22:37-40; Romans 8:29; Ephesians 4:17-5:2; Colossians 3:1-17
4. When you think of the idea of “maturity,” what comes to mind? A) Share experiences from being a part of helping children mature, or from your own journey of maturing.
5. Read Colossians 3:12; Ephesians 4:17& 5:1-2; & 2 Corinthians 5:17-20. What connection does identity have to maturing or transformation?
6. What has been your experience of how following Jesus changes how you see yourself? A) How does that impact how you respond to life and people?
7. What helps you see yourself and others closer to the way God sees you/them? A) What can distort how you see yourself and others?
8. As we’ve been discussing this, what is the Holy Spirit showing you personally?
9. This coming week, how can you more closely align your perspective of yourself and others to God’s heart? Think of practical steps—what you need to put off/put on. OR What practical steps will you take to have “Love God and Love Others” direct more of your thoughts, actions, and choices this week?