Life Hacks: Week 4
Life Hacks: Week 4
WHAT IS A LIFE HACK?
- A strategy or technique adopted in order to manage one’s time and daily activities in a more effective way
- A practical and simple way to make life better
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WISDOM.
- Wisdom is valuable. It is to see as God sees—all the nuances.
- Remember all the nuances of wisdom: spiritual, eternal, emotional, and relational.
- It’s the right knowledge used the right way.
- Where does wisdom come from? God.
- How do we get it? Through Jesus, the gift of the Holy Spirit, His Word (the Bible), and His people.Proverbs 3:13–18 13Blessed are those who find (seek and find) wisdom, those who gain understanding, 14for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold.
THIS WEEK: WISDOM’S CALL TO PURITY.
- The statistics concerning pornography are off the charts for both men and women. (Magic Mike, 50 Shades of Grey)
- Sexual sin is progressive.
WARNING IN PROVERBS 5-7: THE ADULTEROUS WOMAN
- David warned Solomon based on his own experience with sexual sin.
- It’s an analogy of the devil and how he works.
Proverbs 6:23–32 23For this command is a lamp, this teaching is a light, and correction and instruction are the way to life, 24keeping you from your neighbor’s wife, from the smooth talk of a wayward woman. 25Do not lust in your heart after her beauty or let her captivate you with her eyes.
Proverbs 7:24–27 24Now then, my sons, listen to me; pay attention to what I say. 25Do not let your heart turn to her ways or stray into her paths. 26Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. 27Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death.
WHY DOES GOD SAY SO MUCH ABOUT SEXUAL SIN AND PURITY?
TO GET THIS AREA WRONG HURTS AND EVEN KILLS.
- Think about the diseases, the broken relationships that continue to break homes, the broken hearts that damage our ability to trust, and the children born without God’s best.
- Statistics prove that pornography (visual or written) is progressive and dangerous.
- It actually rewires your brain and becomes addictive!
JAMES IS THE “PROVERBS” OF THE NEW TESTAMENT. IT REINFORCES PURITY AND GIVES SOLUTION.
WISDOM IS PURE.
Pure: not mixed or adulterated with any other substance or material; innocent or morally good
SEXUAL SIN IS IMPLIED IN THE GREEK WORD PORNIA.
- It’s the root word of pornography.
- It’s any form of sexual sin—adultery, fornication, homosexuality, lust, etc.
- Sexual sin starts in the eye/mind, moves to the heart/source of the will, and then moves into the actions.
- God designed pure sex—with the right heart, the right person, in the right way.
- The devil attacks the design— “I use the other person for my own pleasure” … “What it does for me…”
SEXUAL SIN IS IN BOTH MIND AND ACTION.
Exodus 20:14–17 14“You shall not commit adultery. 15You shall not steal. 16You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. 17You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”
JESUS REVEALS THE INTENT OF THE LAW.
Matthew 5:27–28 27You have heard that it was said, “You shall not commit adultery.” 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
WISDOM FROM ABOVE IS CONSIDERATE.
Romans 15:1–2 1We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. 2Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up.
1 Timothy 2:9–10
WISDOM HELPS PEOPLE SEE WHAT GOD SEES AND VALUE WHAT HE VALUES.
1 Peter 3:1–5
PURITY LIFE HACKS
1. Understanding yourself and others. Accept God’s words. (Proverbs 3:5-6; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11)
- God cares about purity, and sexual purity is an issue for yourself and others.
- We are sexual creatures who can be misdirected, confused, and damaged.
- God warns us about the devil and how he works.
- Sexual sin destroys, and the devil works so hard on it because of the damage it does.2. Protect your eyes.(Proverbs4:23;Matthew15:16–20)
- Covenant Eyes for your computer (More information at the Recovery table in the Next Steps are of the lobby.)
- Set up filters on your TV
- Set up accountability
3. Promote purity in the way you act and present yourself physically.
- Modesty—dealing with both wealth and sexuality
- Protect the eyes of others
4. Disciple others in purity—parents, grandparents. (Titus 2:3–5; 2 Timothy 2:2)
- Model, protect, and teach purity.
NEXT STEP FOR THOSE WHO STRUGGLE WITH THIS:
Join a Pure Desire or Conquer group for equipping and accountability.
We have a Conquer Series Class starting Monday, October 1st at 6:30pm as part of the Men’s Fall Classes. For more details on both Pure Desire and the Conquer Series, contact Matt Yetter at 208.777.7325 x7107!
QUESTIONS TO DISCUSS IN LIFE GROUPS OR WITH YOUR FSMILY AND FRIENDS
Passages to consider: Proverbs 2:12-22; Proverbs 6:23-29; or select one from the sermon.
- Talk about how your “life hack” from last week worked for you.
- What stood out to you from the sermon?
Purity addresses having innocence, an absence of temptation, a devotion to the Lord, and not being self-seeking. It addresses the motives of our heart and reaches into all realms of our lives, including the area of sexuality.(Note: some of these questions may be addressed better in same-gender discussion groups.)
- What makes purity a crucial issue as we follow Jesus?
- What does God’s word reveal about God, us, and the world in this area?
- What are ways you, your family, and those in your own world are being impacted by especially the lack of purity?What challenges are you facing?
- Psalm 119:9-11 says hiding God’s word in our hearts helps us keep pure. What has been your experience with this?What is helpful?
- What “life hack” (way of living) helps you be aware and deal with the issues of purity? A) What do you need to do inthis area? Be specific and make a plan.
- As we conclude the Life Hack series, what wisdom or insight have you gained?