Experiencing God: Week 5
Experiencing God: Week 5
- 1st principle or Reality – God is always at work around you
- 2nd – He wants a personal relationship with us
- 3rd – God invites you to become involved with Him in His work
- 4th – God speaks by the Holy Spirit through the Bible, prayer, circumstances & the church
- Today – we’re talking about the 5th Reality, – His invitation to join Him in His work always leads to a crisis of belief that will require faith and action.
- We will look at this principle in the life of Jeremiah, the prophet of God
- Seek to understand how God seeks to solve our crisis by His presence and ability
Jeremiah 1:4-10 4 The LORD gave me this message: 5 “I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations.” 6 “O Sovereign LORD,” I said, “I can’t speak for you! I’m too young!” 7 The LORD replied, “Don’t say, ‘I’m too young,’ for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. 8 And don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the LORD, have spoken!” 9 Then the LORD reached out and touched my mouth and said, “Look, I have put my words in your mouth! 10 Today I appoint you to stand up against nations and kingdoms. Some you must uproot and tear down, destroy and overthrow. Others you must build up and plant.” NLT
1. When God speaks, HE speaks to our identity first
Jeremiah 1:4-5 4 The Lord gave me this message: 5 “I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. Before you were born, I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations.” NLT
- God speaks to our identity and relationship with Him first – to BE then DO
- HE knows us, HE made us, HE has a plan for us
1 Peter 2:9 But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light. NLT
2. Focusing on our ability to be the solution to His invitation always leads to a crisis of belief
Jeremiah 1:6 “O Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I can’t speak for you! I’m too young!” NLT
- Too often we don’t believe we’re ENOUGH
- But what we’re really saying is we don’t believe HE is enough
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
3. God is the Solution – Presence and Protection
Jeremiah 1:7-8 7 The Lord replied, “Don’t say, ‘I’m too young,’ for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. 8 And don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the Lord, have spoken!” NLT
- Our excuses pale in comparison to His commands
- God’s presence equals His protection – HE is not a spectator in our lives – HE is our life
Galatians 2:20 // Colossians 3:3-4
4. God is the Solution – Provision
Jeremiah1:9 Then the Lord reached out and touched my mouth and said,“Look, I have put my words in your mouth! NLT
- God initiates closing the gap between our inability and His ability
- Our part is to look to Him, to receive from Him, then to act in obedience
Philippians 2:13 // 2 Timothy 1:7
5. Joining God in His work is NOT void of risk and strain
Jeremiah 1:10 Today I appoint you to stand up against nations and kingdoms. Some you must uproot and tear down, destroy and overthrow. Others you must build up and plant.” NLT
- Standing with God in His work is NOT easy
- God’s work always involves others – those far from Him and those near to Him
Galatians 5:17 // Matthew 22:37-39
- If you have never made the decision to surrender your life to God, make today the day
- If you have, share with someone an area you’ve been having a crisis of belief in regards to an invitation from God to join Him in His work
- Pray for the courage to trust His ability to come through for you and those around you
For Small Group Discussions:
Scripture to Consider: Jeremiah 32:27, Mark 9:24, Romans 8:35-39, 1 Thessalonians 5:24, John 21:20-21
- Have you ever been in a situation where you thought things were going to go one way, but then things went differently? What was it?
- What decisions are you currently wrestling with? What might God be doing in the midst of it?
- Read John 21:20-21. Like Peter, has comparing your life to others ever caused a crisis of belief for you? How did you resolve that?
- Where in Scripture do you see God inviting people to do things that were humanly impossible?
- What has God called you to do that seems impossible to accomplish, unless God miraculously intervenes?
- Take a moment to review God’s faithfulness in your past – how does God’s past activity in your life give you confidence for the future?