Experiencing God: Week 3
Experiencing God: Week 3
- God is always working –in the world and in our life –He is intersecting us with Himself and the places He wants to use us – John 5:17–20 (NIV)
- He has been working in your life personally John 6:44 (NIV)
- God wants to work in and through you personally – He intersects us with His will. Ephesians 2:8–10 (NIV) – Psalm 139:2–5 (NIV)
- Asking the right question –what is Gods Will?
- We often ask the wrong question- what is Gods will for my life is the wrong question. The right question is what is Gods will? Then join your life to His will.
- God first invites us into a personal relationship – with God being first
- Matthew 4:19 –following, changed by, committed to the mission of Jesus
- In this relationship God reveals how He feels about us and others
- The relationship takes us on a journey – the gap between the call and the ministry
- Matthew 4:19—following –being changed by – mission of
- His will is given in His Word
- The Seven Realities for Experiencing God -Pg. 60
“When God’s working in someone’s life, He may reveal His activity to you. That revelation is His invitation for you to join Him in His redemptive work. Be alert to Gods activity around you.”
2 Timothy 3:16–17 (NIV) — 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
6. What is He inviting us into –His Will –His mission –being and doing second
- The journey – the Process of our unmaking – the weak and broken spots
- David –Moses – Abraham – the calling doesn’t skip the unmaking and making process
- He is unmaking the “me first –and most important” part of us
- He is unmaking us so that we lose our “I am the saver—the hero” mindset and we point people to the real hero of the story
- The journey towards the mission leading towards a war – so God has to get us ready with character for the battle ahead – the devil is not going to just sit around and let you take ground from him
7. He is revealing how you can know specifically how to recognize His invitation to join Him where He is working
- Jesus’ way of viewing things is often upside down in the worlds view (we can’t know what has eternal value apart from relationship with Jesus)
- His revelation is our invitation to join Him personally –obedience –the next right step
- His revelation is His invitation to join Him in His work in the lives of others
- The lost person –
- The hurting person
- The proud Christian
- The tool in His hands to administrate His grace in its various forms
Putting it all together –Jesus as our example
- He is doing Gods will
- He is looking for where God is working
- He joins God in what He is doing
- He does this with others –together in Gods will
Luke 19:1–9 (NIV) — 1 Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. 2 A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. 3 He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way. 5 When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” 6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly. 7 All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.” 8 But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham.
Small Group Discussion
Scripture to Consider
• Psalm 139:1-6 • Isaiah 6:1-8 • Luke 5:1-11
- 1. Describe a time you were excluded or not invited to something? What was the impact?
1. In contrast, have you ever been invited to something really fun, exciting, or meaningful? What was the impact?
- How is God shaping you as a tool for His divine work? Do you sometimes resist this refining process? Explain.
- What has God been teaching you lately? How might He be preparing you to join Him in the lives of those around you?
- If someone were to scrutinize your text messages, emails, social media, calendar & checkbook, would they conclude that your priorities line up with God’s? In what areas do you think you’re doing well? Where are you challenged?
- In what areas of your life do you think God is inviting you to join Him in His work? What is preventing you from stepping out in faithful obedience?
- How can you be more prepared to experience God this week?