Elephant in the Room: Week 4
Elephant in the Room: Week 4
THIS WEEK: CREATION CARE & CLIMATE CHANGE
• Conversations, opinions, perspectives, emotion, experience, behavior, belief systems, information intake, lifestyle and identity are tied to these subjects.
• All of these form our world view. WHAT DOES GOD’S WORD SAY?
- In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)
- God made man and woman in His image and gave them the earth and everything in it to steward. (Genesis 1:27-28)
- Sin entered the world, and consequences came with it. (Genesis 3:16-19)
- Man traded God’s truth for a lie. (Romans 1:18-23)
- Jesus has absolute authority of the heavens and the earth. (Colossians 1:15-16 & Matthew 28:18)
- Christians have hope. (Jude 24-25)WHAT IS A DISCIPLE OF JESUS’ RESPONSE TO OTHER WORLDVIEWS?
DON’T BE FOOLISH IN YOUR CONVERSATIONS.
2 Timothy 2:22-26 (NLT) 23Again I say, don’t get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights. 24A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. 25Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people’s hearts, and they will learn the truth. 26Then they will come to their senses and escape from the devil’s trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants.
KNOW WHO THE REAL ENEMY IS.
Ephesians 6:10-12 (NLT) 10A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
LET ME SHOW YOU A MORE EXCELLENT WAY.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (NLT) 4Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
- Real Life’s Vision: Reaching the world for Jesus one person at a time.
- Real Life’s Mission: We will create biblical disciples in relational environments.QUESTIONS TO REFLECT AND DISCUSS:
Passages to consider: Genesis 1 & 2, Psalm 8
- Share from the sermon something that challenges you. How will you respond?
- Read Genesis 1, Matthew 28:18, and/or Psalm 8. How does the thought that God created all of creation andJesus is king over everything impact how you approach this topic? A) How does this perspective impact both
stewardship of and fear about the earth?
- What have been your thoughts about climate/environmental/creation concerns? A) How does the idea of beinga steward of God’s creation impact your thinking?
- How can you represent stewardship of God’s creation best?
- How do you respond to others with differing views and perspectives? A) What do you need in order to be able tohave a conversation about climate/environmental/creation concerns, while being aware of God’s part and the
real concerns of our current world?
- Where might God being challenging you in stewarding His creation and representing His heart to others?
Next Week: New Sermon Series: “Ever Wonder Why?”
Passages to prepare: Acts 2; 2 Timothy 3:14-17; Hebrews 10:19-25
Unmarked Scripture quotations will be read from the Holy Bible, New International Version. Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, IL 60189. All rights reserved.