A Holy Nation: Week 3
A Holy Nation: Week 3
1 Peter 2:9-10 (NIV) – But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
- We are a chosen people
- We are a royal priesthood
We are to be a holy nation, God’s special possession that we may declare the praises of him who called us out of darkness into his wonderful light.
Exodus 19:1-8 (NIV) – 1On the first day of the third month after the Israelites left Egypt—on that very day—they came to the Desert of Sinai. 2After they set out from Rephidim, they entered the Desert of Sinai, and Israel camped there in the desert in front of the mountain. 3Then Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the descendants of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: 4‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. 5Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.” 7So Moses went back and summoned the elders of the people and set before them all the words the Lord had commanded him to speak. 8The people all responded together, “We will do everything the Lord has said.” So Moses brought their answer back to the Lord.
Whose are you?
What are you?
Where are you to be who you are to be?
When are you to be it?
How are you to be who you are to be?
Why are you the way that you are?
Romans 12:1 (NIV) – 1Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.
TO DECLARE: to tell out or forth; to declare abroad, divulge, publish; to make known by praising or proclaiming, to celebrate.
GOD LIKES TO PARTY. DO YOU?
- Have you accepted the invitation to be God’s son or daughter through a faith in Him and in Christ?
- When you become a part of the family of God you become a representative of Him to others and the world. How do you feel about that? What questions do you have about how to be that? Who can you ask to help answer those questions?
- Does your life look like you live for yourself or for God?
- What do you get most excited about? What are the things that you do in order to experience the things that excite you the most? Do you do those same things for God? Why or why not?
- We learn to be God’s people – disciples of Jesus – by doing life with and learning from others – being discipled by others. Are you connected in relationships with others in order to learn and grow as a disciple? Are you being discipled by someone? Are you helping (discipling) others? What are the steps you need to take in order to do so?