1 Peter 2:9 (ESV) But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
Matthew 6:33 (ESV) But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
John 3:3 (ESV) Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom ofGod.”
What a Priest is:
What a Priest is not:
You can exercise your privilege as a priest in God’s nation by following Peter’s instructions.
Examples of Priests failing in their role:
1. Royal Priesthood – Family of the King. Famous Jim Putman Quote, Our King is not up for election.
2. Offering Spiritual Sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
3. Proclaim the Praises of the One. (1 Peter 2:9)
4. Live Differently – Abstaining from fleshly desires so that people know you are different. (1 Peter 2:11)
5. Submit yourself to human institutions, knowing that the authority of your King overrides them all. (1 Peter 2:12)
6. Silence the Ignorant. (1 Peter 2:15)
7. Live Free Without Vice. (1 Peter 2:16)
For Small Group Discussion:
Opening Question: What’s your favorite piece of clothing or thing to wear? Why?
Main Point: As God’s chosen people, we are set apart by Christ and we should reflect Christ to the world.
Read/Tell the Story: Exodus 19:3-6, 28:1-5 Colossians 3:5-17
Supporting Scripture: 1 Peter 2:9-10 Psalms 4:3 Romans 1:1